Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Philosophy of Education and Theories of IT Reflection


We began class with a lot of talk about theories of education. There are more, but we talked about four main  ones. Those were perennialism, essentialism, progressivism, and reconstructionism. They rank from perennialism being the most conservative to reconstructionism being the most liberal. As I listened to their descriptions, I was struck with how I have experienced elements of all four within my public school and college days. It was very interesting because I had only ever thought of them as extremely separate and distinct elements. They can interplay and I just had never thought enough about it to notice that.

As for as my own view, I would have to say that I'm more often to agree with reconstructionism. Not only is that just generally the way my mind works, many of my college learning experiences seem to veer in that direction. None of the views actually make me that uncomfortable as I have had experiences with all of them.  However, perennialism opposes the school as a social mechanism and trade school aspects. Perennialism and essentialism both oppose change unless absolutely necessary. Both of those individual oppositions do bother a bit. It seems that that sort of viewpoint would really hold schools back.

We also had a great discussion in class about what technology is, what media is, and how we compare the two. It was interesting and I really feel like all my previous viewpoints about them were very wrong. Technology being thought of as the application of knowledge to solve problems and make lives easier is a brand-new mindset for me. I am trying to retool my thinking however. Thinking of it as a process and a product is a bit more in line with what I thought, but it goes even a bit deeper. I have tried to look at processes and products as a teacher. I thought of a product being a smartboard and a process perhaps being the Madelyn Hunter Model of lesson planning. I'm a little shaky on whether that is a true statement for the last one however. I am still struggling with it. I also honestly have not thought in depth about what media was at all. Channels for transmitting information is as good a definition as any, though any might be new to me. This is a bit easier to wrap my head around, but is still difficult to think about what exactly that entails. When someone is writing on a whiteboard, what part is the media? The marker? The board? The words? It's a little confusing. It is a very interesting new way to look at things, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment