Saturday, December 1, 2012

Establishing a Professional Learning Network Reflection

It was interesting to hear about how much certain forms of social media can help you grow in your professional life. I'm not sure how I feel about all of it at this point however. I can see the benefit of using Twitter and Facebook to follow interests, but I guess it is just something that I haven't done.

 I use Facebook more as a way to connect with people and plan events, as well as keep track of important dates. Sometimes I use it to keep track of friends who are far away. I rarely use it it to post professional materials. I suppose that I sometimes do that, but no one really pays attention to it. I also find that my contacts rarely post professional information. The answer to that then is probably to create a more professional Facebook profile in addition to my casual one. The problem is that I find myself apathetic when I am thinking about that.

I don't do Twitter at all. I just have never found the idea appealing. My little sister does it and wastes endless hours just pointing useless and silly things. That was not something that I wanted to be a part of. I understood what Dennis said, however, about only posting important things or following people that you actually wanted to know something about. I am still skeptical, but perhaps I will someday change my mind.

I use certain forms of social media frequently, but I am probably still a newcomer compared to many others. I should really look into some of the things that were discussed and open my mind to these new outlets of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment